Transfer Credits

Credit earned by correspondence or by enrollment at another college or university while a student is enrolled for residence work at this institution will not be counted toward a degree unless explicitly approved in advance. This policy applies to Fall, Spring, and Summer sessions.

Note regarding transfer course: Philosophy, Theology, Advanced Psychology, SMC 1301SMC 1311SMC 1314SMC 2301SMC 2302 and SMC 4301 courses cannot be transferred after a student has matriculated at St. Mary's University.

Matriculated students who go to another college/university during the summer cannot transfer Math courses numbered MT 2XXX, 3XXX, or 4XXX.

The maximum credit transferable from a junior college, or any combination of junior colleges, is 66 semester hours. A student who has attained junior standing—that is one who has completed 60 or more semester hours—may return to a junior college for an additional six (or eight) semester hours, with the appropriate Dean's prior approval (provided the total hours transferred from junior colleges do not exceed 66).  The maximum credit transferable from a four-year university is 90 hours.  A student with junior college and four-year university credits, the maximum total combined transfer hours is 90.

Students enrolled at another college must forward an official transcript.  Service personnel with Military and DANTES credit must forward evidence of their record to the Director of Admissions.

Students already enrolled at St. Mary's must furnish an official transcript of record for courses taken by extension and/or correspondence from a college or university offering non-resident courses. No credit will be granted by St. Mary's unless the enrolled student has had permission in advance to pursue such extension, correspondence, or "visitor" courses.

Individuals may obtain an official transcript of their work completed at St. Mary's University provided they have satisfactorily met all university obligations.